Hello Dave,

5 GHz WLAN are indeed Class 2 and do indeed require the Alert Symbol.

The restriction of their use is that they are only permitted indoors in the
band from 5.15 GHz to 5.35 GHz.

The Commission does provide a short list of typical Class 2 devices that are
easy to explain.

Look which one is number 1 on the list…   J  ….

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/files/rtte-subclass2_en.pdf

Thanks,   Michael.

Michael Derby

Regulatory Engineer