Though the NEC doesn't have  a specific definition for "Continuous Input
Current", as you mentioned before, it does define "Continuous Load" as "A load
where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more."

The NEC also uses the terms, "Noncontinuous Load" and "Steady State" yet they
do not define these terms specifically. I assume they must feel these terms are
self explanatory and didn't require a specific definition.

On the IEC/EN/UL 61010-1 standard (safety of ISM equipment) that we primarily
deal with, it simply states that on the equipment you must include the "maximum
RATED power" or "maximum RATED input current", yet the standard does not
explain how this is determined. It does say that compliance is verified by
measurement of power or input current but to exclude inrush and transients, and
not made "until the current has stabilized". This is where we unofficially get
the term "steady-state current". I can see where on some equipment the
measurement of a steady state current/power may not be possible. In those cases
I assume it can be calculated.

Now, on a more practical note regarding the Rating on the equipment and the NEC
125% rule on the plug, our NRTL says that if the equipment's current rating is
within 80% of the plug rating then we have to provide them with the maximum
continuous or maximum average current rating of the equipment. Our NRTL says
that to avoid confusion in addition to the steady state current rating we can
also include the Max. Continuous or Max. Average current rating on our
equipment. During inspections this helps to determine if the correct plug and
branch circuit is being used and it can aid our customers in determining
facility power requirements and HVAC needs.

Our situation is similar to the original poster's. We have one piece of
equipment that draws 28 amps steady-state when you first turn it on while
heaters are warming up in a small furnace which may take 20-30 minutes. Then
the current throttles down and runs continuously drawing around 17 amps to
maintain the furnace temperature. We use a 10AWG power cord with a NEMA 30A
twistlock plug. We have RATED the equipment 28 amps. However, when our product
is installed at some customer locations, the Electrician or local inspector
will rightly so question the 28 amp rating and the use of a 30 amp plug. So we
are often asked what the "max. continuous current" is of the equipment. Once we
say it is 17 amps, everything is ok. A CSA engineer has told us that we can
include the continuous or average current rating on our equipment in addition
to the steady-state current rating to eliminate having to provide this
information to the field.

The original poster asked if it is ok to rate a product 24A for North America
and 32A for Europe. If the equipment is the same and you use the same method to
determine your RATING shouldn't your product have the same rating regardless of
the market you sell it in? For North America, as long as your product's
continuous current is less than 80% of the plug rating you should be ok.

The Other Brian