Brian, et al,

        The IEC 60990 body model circuit is the traditional test circuit
that has been used by the IEC for more than 50 years.  It combines the
inward & outward conducting skins into one lumped circuit model of RS = 1500
ohms paralleled by Cs = 0.22uF.  It is usually described as a large area
contact model (salad plate sized contact).  This model was developed long
before any of the work to further develop the requirements in all of the
detail shown in the voltage documents (60479-5 & 61201).  Other models of
interest have been fingertip contact model and palm sized contact model.

        You may remember that I gave a paper at PSES08 which reported on
using actual measurements to determine the Rs & Cs value.  This paper
involved deconvoluting the X-Y ellipse generated by the application of ac
current to the body to retrieve the Rs & Cs.  The purpose of the paper was
to demonstrate the method.  As far as I know, no researchers have taken more
data & repeated the calculations to get statistical values for a number of
contact conditions.

        Further, I have presented a number of PSES papers showing analysis
of situations based upon the standard circuits in IEC 60990.  These analyses
provide the basis for confirming the provision of needed electric shock
protection in the situations evaluated.

        There is plenty of room for getting additional, up-to-date data on
the human body to support further modeling of electric shock situations.
There is major interest among electric shock experts such as members of IEC
TC64/WG4; work in this area seems to be just getting underway.

        All of this will be long term research work so don't expect results
tomorrow.

:>)     br,     Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety Engineer
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201     fone/fax
p.perk...@ieee.org

        _ _ _ _ _

Pete,

Is this a 'typical' reactance, and a similar capacitance as used in the
IEC60990 networks?

Brian