Hi All,

I was able to measure in my lab late tonight, a very important extension of an effect I discovered earlier. That discovery describes how some power supplies can take in a single ESD pulse and generate from it many ESD pulses of both polarities with both human metal model and cable discharge current waveforms embedded in corona discharges from the single original ESD pulse.

Tonight, I was able to create the same effect using EFT (electrical fast transient) pulses. Some power supplies can take a single EFT pulse and a microsecond to several microseconds later generate one or more EFT pulses, some larger that the stimulus one, embedded in corona discharges!

This is very bad as EFT occurs much more than ESD and is not visible to equipment operators. The EFT can be amplified and made worse by some power supplies! This could easily the the cause of equipment failure either at compliance testing or in the field.

This appears to be a new phenomena that I have not seen published. I have been able to reproduce the ESD version at a NASA Ames laboratory, my own laboratory, and at an ESD test site on the US East Coast using different ESD simulators and equipment.

If you are interested in this, contact me privately at d...@dsmith.org or call me.

Doug

--
University of Oxford Tutor
Department for Continuing Education
 |  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   d...@dsmith.org
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>