From: Kunde, Brian [mailto:brian_ku...@lecotc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:20 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Surge Testing 3 phase Equipment

We perform Surge Immunity test according to IEC/EN 61000-4-5. Family and
Generic standards call out voltage levels for “Line to Line” and “Line to
Earth”.

So for single phase electrical equipment we perform surge test on the following
coupling modes which can take between 1-4 hours to perform depending on the
time between pulses, number of phase angles tested, and number of voltage
levels tested:

L1-N
L1-PE
N-PE

We are looking to perform the Surge test on a 3 phase device (first time for
our corporate lab). However, the possible coupling choices appear to be almost
endless (18 additional modes). To test all coupling modes available from our
test equipment, this test could take an entire week to perform.  I’m guessing
we can reduce the number of coupling paths. What do most other labs do?  What
would you do? For instances;

Line to Line
L1-L2
L1-L3
L2-L3
L1-N
L2-N
L3-N

Line to Earth
L1-PE
L2-PE
L3-PE
N-PE

Is the above adequate or do I also have to test these Line to Earth
combinations, such as:
L1+L2-PE
L2+L3-PE
L1+L3-PE
L1+N-PE
L2+N-PE
L3+N-PE
L1+L2+L3-PE
L1+L2+N-PE
L1+L3+N-PE
L2+L3+N-PE
L1+L2+L3+N-PE

Pros, Cons, Suggestions, opinions, etc.??

Thanks to all.

The Other Brian
LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>