 To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
 Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 11:52 AM
 Subject: Re: [PSES] Machinery requirements for Japan market

Mike, Dave  et al,

    Just a reminder, 'voluntary' has a different definition in Japan.

    We tried to play the card when I worked at the big
electronics company but our Japanese distributor remended us that they had
volunteered to meet the requirement so it wasn't voluntary for the design
and manufacturing company.

:>)    br,    Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety Engineer
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201    fone/fax
p.perk...@ieee.org

    __ _ _ _

Hi Dave,

>From what I understand, the "Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law"
under the Ministry of Economy Trade and Industry has lists of "Specified
Electrical Appliances and Materials (Category A and B)" which determine the
electrical safety requirements for certain products.

http://www.meti.go.jp/english/policy/economy/consumer/pse/02.htm
http://www.meti.go.jp/english/policy/economy/consumer/pse/03.htm

EMC is voluntary under the Voluntary Control Council for Interference
(VCCI). https://www.vcci.jp/vcci_e/

Mike Violette
Washington Laboratories & American Certification Body mi...@wll.com
+1 240 401 1388

On Feb 23, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Nyffenegger, Dave wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are any national requirements for certifications
> of light machinery used commercially in the office
environment in Japan or point me to where I can learn about that?  i.e. Safety
and/or EMC etc.