      From: Ed Price <edpr...@cox.net>
 To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
 Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 3:10 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSES] Serrated head screws for grounding/bonding

<!--#yiv1485224167 _filtered #yiv1485224167 {font-family:Wingdings;panose-1:5 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} _filtered #yiv1485224167 {font-family:Wingdings;panose-1:5 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} _filtered #yiv1485224167 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5
2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1485224167 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4
3 5 4 4 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1485224167 {font-family:"Century
Schoolbook";panose-1:2 4 6 4 5 5 5 2 3 4;}#yiv1485224167 #yiv1485224167
p.yiv1485224167MsoNormal, #yiv1485224167 li.yiv1485224167MsoNormal,
#yiv1485224167 div.yiv1485224167MsoNormal
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman", "serif";}#yiv1485224167 a:link, #yiv1485224167
span.yiv1485224167MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1485224167 a:visited, #yiv1485224167
span.yiv1485224167MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1485224167 p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New
Roman", "serif";}#yiv1485224167 p.yiv1485224167MsoAcetate, #yiv1485224167
li.yiv1485224167MsoAcetate, #yiv1485224167 div.yiv1485224167MsoAcetate
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:8.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma",
"sans-serif";}#yiv1485224167 span.yiv1485224167EmailStyle18
{font-family:"Courier New";color:blue;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none
none;}#yiv1485224167 span.yiv1485224167BalloonTextChar {font-family:"Tahoma",
"sans-serif";}#yiv1485224167 .yiv1485224167MsoChpDefault
{font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";} _filtered #yiv1485224167 {margin:1.0in
1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv1485224167 div.yiv1485224167WordSection1 {}-->Doug:  I
first learned about the non-intuitive value of metal displacement from the now
almost forgotten technology of wire-wrap, and then I found it had been in use
for quite a while on telephone “push-down” wire connectors. Both of those
technologies yielded long-term reliability, so I can’t see why that wouldn’t
work for star washers too.  OTOH, there is still that possibility of a heavy
fault current blasting away tiny point-contact conduction paths. Hmmm. Maybe
commercial standards have been overly influenced by arguments of cost, as it’s
certainly cheaper to just use a serrated skirt bolt in place of an assembled
stack of components. We might be in the land of “maybe not the best, but good
enough for us.”  BTW, the military system also emphasizes that you are not done
when you torque the fastener; you still have to protect the assembly with some
coating (like varnish or liquid plastic or paint). I suppose this is
acknowledging the issues of joint capillary action and not being gas-tight.  I
never cease to be amazed at how many EMC questions depend on answers from
mechanical engineers.  Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA  From: Doug Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]