PSNet,

Altho David unnecesarily denigrates the Simpson 228 touch current meter, it
needs to be pointed out that this meter does incorporate both of the IEC
60990 Frequency Factor correction circuits as specified in IEC 60990 and
invoked in IEC 62368.  Further this meter has an output that can be connex
to your scope to view the waveform and make both rms and pk-pk measurements
from the scope trace.  I have used this meter this way for the last 20 years
and have reported on many TC waveforms for a variety of equipment during
that time (see lots of tc scope pix on Art Michaels SafetyLink - search on
perkins).  I agree with David that production equipment needs to be as
automatic as possible but engineers need to see the details of what they are
working with to get a handle on the source of the problems, hence the scope
traces.  ED&D provides a set of digital test boxes; look carefully to get
the proper one for your measurement requirement.

:>)     br,     Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety Engineer
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201     fone/fax
p.perk...@ieee.org

        _ _ _ _ _

Actually the Simpson 228 lacks most of the abilities necessary for the
tests, and its only a meter, not a tester....I find it interesting its made
on an Indian Reservation though

You speak of "ensuring proper protection for the user" yet suggest a very
dangerous device as the wiring is all exposed to the user! I'll also mention
the test can not be performed "calibrated" which is a huge risk to your
operations. You can calibrate the meter, which is not even digital - - this
is 2015 everyone should be using digital.

There are several companies in the USA and elsewhere offering full test
devices for these tests, including ED&D. It will save you time, money and
remove risk of injury to user.

David Bisenius

VP of Marketing & Sales @ ED&D | Product Safety Test Equipment | UL, CSA,
IEC, EN Standards | ISO/IEC 17025 Accredited