Hi Eugene,
I'll take a stab at answering your questions.
I test the worst-case maximum configuration that can be mounted in a single 19-inch rack. FCC would refer to this as a "composite system" [47CFR15.31(k) in http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title47-vol1/pdf/CFR-2014-title47-vol1-sec15-31.pdf]. While FCC talks about composite systems having separate enclosures connected by wire, I do not believe one needs to extend that to everything in an IS shop (or everything in the world) that is connected by wire. Hence, I stop at a more reasonable place of a single 19-inch rack. Generally, a single rack would have a couple of servers, couple of disk arrays, a couple of Ethernet and/or Fibre Channel switches, and the rest of the rack filled with disk arrays.

> What standards are to be applicable for this situation? FCC?
> Bellcore GR-1089? Both? More?
Only FCC has the force of law, so this is the only one that is mandatory. However, your e-mail indicates that you intend to sell to telephone companies in USA, and some telephone company customers will only buy products that are NEBS compliant (GR-1089). NEBS would be a marketing requirement, not a regulatory requirement. Please note that you can sell non-NEBS verified products to telephone companies (even AT&T and Verizon) if they plan to use it in their IS shop away from their telecommunications network control facilities, but you will be a step ahead of the competition if you did go ahead and get NEBS for those customers.

Be forewarned that you need to check on a lab's accreditation to confirm they can test for NEBS, and some telephone companies also require the Verizon accreditation for the test labs with Verizon's extra requirements. Complying with NEBS will add cost to your products both in the testing and in the design. Again, this is a marketing decision.

Ed Price adds an interesting discussion about treating the entire data center as a single product. I don't think this is practical from from a sales perspective because it would require doing on-site emissions testing every time the data center changes (installs extra equipment).

Hope this helps.

Monrad Monsen
Disclaimer: Everything expressed in this e-mail are strictly my own opinions and are not necessarily those of any employer I work for.
<http://www.oracle.com>
On 5/14/2015 1:42 AM, Ed Price wrote:

*I’m not an expert on this, but here’s a starter. Shouldn’t a data center be within an RF shielded enclosure, with power and signal ports bandwidth limited by filters and couplers? (Wouldn’t the data I/O be fiberoptic?) A moderate enclosure should give you 80dB isolation from the environment, and physical isolation will add to that. You could consider the whole enclosure as one device.*

**

*For RE, standing just outside the enclosure, I doubt you could even prove the data center internal systems were working. I’ll let others add/correct this, but to me, a data center looks like a factory in a box, with its own dedicated power feed (not shared by residential or light industrial users) and can be treated as Part 18 ISM.*

**

*I don’t know what your client expects of you, but I think they should be concerned with self-compatibility of the various subsystems installed within that shielded volume. Will each rack of processors or routers have its own UPS? What interactions will happen with multiple UPS’s connected in parallel, and what will be the RE environment among those racks? And if this equipment is all USA origin, what further assurances of RS can the vendors provide?*

**

*/Ed Price
/**WB6WSN
**Chula Vista, CA USA**//*

**

Could you please share your knowledge about a philosophical or logical approach to EMC testing of a data center. To simplify my question let’s talk about just EMI testing for USA.

Adata center contains computer systems and associated components, such as telecommunications <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunication> and storage systems <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_data_storage>, air conditioning, fire suppression and various security devices. Servers are mounted in19 inch rack <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_inch_rack> cabinets. Some equipment such as mainframe computers <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainframe_computer> and storage <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_storage> devices are often as big as the racks themselves, and are placed alongside them.

Should I test just one rack of a type on the turn table for RE? How many racks should be tested together for CE? Or just one?

What standards are to be applicable for this situation? FCC? Bellcore GR-1089? Both? More?

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards,

Eugene

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>