I think I have told this story before but you asked so now you have to read it.

Back around 1975 I was minding my own business when I got a letter from the FCC
stating that the police department's car radios could not transmit when in the
vicinity of a bank in Fallon Nevada. This was for a class A computing device -
bank teller and back room automation. I don't remember the whole letter and but
they obviously wanted to know what we were going to do about it. There was
urgency to the letter but not a specific date or a direct turn off the
equipment requirements.

We had a very specific signal to look at from the letter. I reviewed our test
reports and the signal was not found, certainly not on the suspect list or
final measurements. We had a 3 dB of margin requirement in our design process.
We were measuring on our own 10 meter site that was registered with the FCC.(
It really didn't take much to register in those days, site attenuation,
physical description of the site etc.). EMC design and control was in its
infancy for digital devices and this system had 6 to 10 cable interconnected
devices - a real rat's nest.

So I jumped on a plane to the Fallon. with the analyzer, antenna, and close
field probes.  We set up the antenna near one of the teller platforms and
started looking - nothing, switched to close field probes - nothing. Next
station - nothing. It was nearing midnight so we started to shut down the
equipment preparing to come back the next day. All of a sudden as I was
starting disconnect the antennas a huge spike appeared at the suspect
frequency. I asked my cohort what he was doing and he responded that he was
shutting things down. I had him turn them back on and very quickly the spike
disappeared. Equipment off - large spike, equipment on no spike. Came back the
next day and called the police radio room again and had her hold the phone to
their receiver. As soon as I turned off the suspect equipment I could hear the
tone coming from the receiver via the telephone. I asked them to check their
logs to see if they could identify any particular time when things seemed to go
hay!
   wire. All of the complaints were after the bank closed for the day and had
turned the equipment off.

A little investigation found that a video display was  changed from a +12 Vac
only unit to one that required +  and -12Vdc. The switch being used to power
the old display only had a single pole and perfectly acceptable for the old
single voltage design. From the designers aspect things were working just fine.
Turn off the power and the display went blank. Undetected by them was that the
video amplifier was being driven into oscillation when the plus voltage was
removed. The solution was simply, we could get dual pole switches that fit the
unit and could be replaced in the field. We determined the number of field
units, built up power switches and cables and instructed the field service guys
to make the change. I responded back to the FCC that the problem was found,
what the root cause of the signal was, and our field updates and projected
timeline for complete retrofit, along with a note that any new complaints would
be retrofit immediately.
I don't really remember whether we got a response back from the FCC saying the
accepted our resolution - I think we might have - but other than that we never
heard from them again.
The short of it was - actual field complaint sent to the FCC, they tracked us
down, we responded with the root analysis and repair information within two
weeks and life went back to normal.

This and the one other incident does bring up the test modes issue though. The
requirements at the time were for operating, scrolling H's to all peripherals,
printers, disc drives etc. all variable control set to maximum etc. at least as
a minimum
The above is an example of a mode one would never consider - the equipment
turned off. I also had a problem with a vendor who was selling us a monitor and
I kept pointing out a signal 30 dB over the limit. He insisted it wasn’t there,
I insisted it was. Again I jumped on a plane with the offending monitor with
me. Went to the suppliers test facility and started running tests. Again it was
a single frequency of concern. He set everything up using a set of support
equipment he had and turned everything on. He kind of smirked when the
offending frequency wasn't there. I walked out to the monitor and adjusted the
contrast form the required maximum to a more user preferred level. The smirk
was quickly replaced with a whole different look as a plus 30 dB signal sat
right where I told him it would be.

The point is one has to try to standardize the test setup and modes as much as
possible - but there are a huge number of permutations that can apply and the
highly unlikely will undoubtedly  bite you in a sensitive part every so often.