I assume the relay would have to meet double/reinforced open contact
spacing and dielectric strength in this application.  Correct?

Sounds right

We are having a hard time finding a relay that specifies an open contact
dielectric strength for double/reinforced (3000Vac or 4200Vdc).

How about two Listed relays in series, each with independent coil drive?
(single fault tolerance)

We have found a relay where the manufacturer specifies an open contact
dielectric strength of 2000Vac but internally each pole has two contacts
with an air gap of 1.8mm for each. Since there are two air gaps, each
meeting the requirements of Basic, together, the open contact has a
combined spacing and passes a hipot test exceeding the requirements for
double/reinforced.

Can the relay remain closed in a single fault scenario?

So can we use this part in our application based on our testing and
physical measurements or are we limited to the manufacture's
specification?

I'd use two Listed/Certified relays and then I'd analyze full circuit with
FMEA and do a fault tree.  (above and beyond whatever tests the NRTL need
done)

Ralph McDiarmid  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   CANADA  |
  Regulatory Compliance Engineering