Hi John,

You could change the design to have Reinforced Insulation between mains and
chassis. That would be the "easiest" solution... for the test lab/agency ;).

Earthed SELV should only require Basic Insulation to mains, as long as the
earth connection can meet the requirements for protective earthing, such as
ground bond test. As Ted noted, demonstrating this may be difficult. If the
connection cannot meet these requirements, then you either need to find a
way to isolate the SELV circuitry from the chassis during test (at the
point where the earth connection does meet the requirements for protective
earthing) or you need to improve the isolation between mains and the
chassis such that it can pass the test, jokes aside.

Would removing chassis cover(s) during test help the product pass, if
possible? I would think you could argue that this is acceptable with the
test agency, since you could pass the test for Basic Insulation with the
cover(s) present, and the chassis earth connection must meet requirements
for protective earthing.

--
Scott Aldous
Compliance Engineer