From: ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen [mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl]
Sent: 22 May 2016 09:59
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] fire safety test methods for different country standards

I was wondering if these type of fire propagation tests are still of any
relevance.

Nowadays most electronic designs have been built with compliant (be it UL or
VDE or any other reputable test house) and wiring is HAR or better. Enclosures
are most standard -off-the-shelf- types with a decent flammability marking.
Isolating material is purchased for the purpose and decently marked.

I must add that my experience is mostly in professional (low power <1500 VA)
equipment (60950 / 61010), so I may be biased, but in 20 years of testing I
still have to find an example where a fire could be started in a "fire
enclosure" (or outside)
using a single fault simulation, or a situation where a fire could propagate.
Any overheated component/wiring/pcb  produced (toxic?)   smell/smoke
only.  I had some exploding capacitors, and semiconductors (DIL packages), and
that was it.

I'd like to hear any decent argument or example  (yes!) on when a fire test had
(recently) shown to be necessary ( had a fail result) where this was not
expected based on the applied components ratings.  I do not think that many
wood enclosures are used, and paper has long been ruled out in electronics.

Is this flammability issue (at least the equipment test) not something slowly
becoming obsolete ?

Regards,

Ing. Gert Gremmen
Approvals manager

+ ce marking of electrical/electronic equipment Independent Consultancy
+ Services Compliance Testing and Design for CE marking
     according to EC-directives:
        - Electro Magnetic Compatibility 2004/108/EC
        - Electrical Safety 2006/95/EC
        - Medical Devices 93/42/EC
        - Radio & Telecommunication Terminal Equipment 99/5/EC
+ Improvement of Product Quality and Reliability testing Education

Web:    www.cetest.nl (English)
Phone :  +31 10 415 24 26
This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that is
confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended
for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
persons other than the designated
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from
any computer.
Thank you for your co-operation.