Ralph:

The field within a solenoid coil is very uniform and predictable (it’s a
expansion of the Biot-Savart equation).  I built my own 3-axis sensor using a
magnetoresistive chip sensor similar to this Honeywell design:

http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/common/documents/myaerospacecatalog-documents/Defense_Brochures-documents/HMC5883L_3-Axis_Digital_Compass_IC.pdf

You can find similar systems in the “maker” marketplace for under $20; IIRC,
Adafruit provides these mounted to boards that mate with Arduinos and other
microcomputers.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hmc5883l-breakout-triple-axis-magnetometer-compass-sensor/overview

I’m a bit hazy on what I did a decade ago; I seem to have lost my entire notes
for that part of the project. Anyway, the Honeywell sensor can measure up to 8
Oersteds, so you can prove the “coil factor” to yourself with 1% accuracy.
(Remember that H-field scales directly with current.) You can also move this
sensor around inside the coil volume to check the field uniformity.

I just downloaded a free ap from the Apple Store, called “TeslaBot” and it’s
now running on my iPhone. It turns the iPhone’s 3-axis magnetoresistive sensor
into a magnetometer, displaying each axis simultaneosuly in µT plus solving and
displaying sum of all three axes. (The point being, why not? I’m sure somebody
will ask me about magnetic field sensing at the next party I attend!) My
desktop ambient is 38µT, and if I move my old wireless phone near it, it shoots
up to over 500µT. Of course, I have no idea of the absolute accuracy of that
reading, but it would be interesting for someone with a coil to verify how
accurate the iPhone sensor really is.  At the very least, TeslaBot makes a good
demonstrator for convincing upper management that EMI is real and they
shouldn’t fire you.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA