From: Ed Price [mailto:edpr...@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 12:11 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Brexit and the European Compliance Complex

Now that the UK has voted to withdraw from the European Union, how will this
affect the regulatory compliance landscape of the UK market? I have heard
that trade into the EU represents about 6% of the UK's GDP (is that true).
If that is so, then will the UK assert its own national compliance
structure? Will the UK simply copy the existing EU compliance Directives,
Norms and Standards (as they were already published in UK versions), or will
the UK feel it necessary to have a complete new system? (I recall that the
British MoD decided on this second option, essentially rewriting the US
MIL-STD-461 as their own DEF-STAN 59-41 and then 59-411.)

Is there a sense within the UK that having to follow the numerous, complex
and opaque EU regulations (sorry to have to say that, but that seems to be
>80% of all our conversations now) has become onerous and that a move to UK
national regulations would be a chance to simplify and eliminate burdens?

The current UK government was not enthusiastic about Brexit, so are there
any predictions about how happily and efficiently it will move to complete
the withdrawal (I understand that they have 2 years maximum). However,
assuming that the current government does move ahead to comply with the will
of their nation, what are the first significant changes that will affect
both UK companies and foreign companies trading with the UK?

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA

<emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org> >