Hello Brian,

This is a fairly simplistic view, but  it’s the best I can do without copying
whole sections of the standards. It takes some time to learn the new standard,
but it may be well worth getting a copy to go over if you will be using it in
the future.

IEC 60950-1 has requirements that go back to the days when transformers and
other components were sealed with waxes and varnishes. There are other
assumptions based on materials that used to be common but are now rarely used.
Many of the fire enclosure requirements were based on the assumption that these
materials could melt, catch on fire and drip out of the enclosure. The
requirements are partly based on the concept of looking at the failure modes of
the past and designing them out.

IEC 62368-1 carries over many of the IEC 60950-1 fire enclosure requirements as
an option for compliance, but there are options to use other constructional
requirements that could give designers more flexibility. Potential ignition
sources are determined based on either energy levels or other factors such as
arcing. These potential ignition sources must be provided protection, but it
can be handled differently. You will need to look at the standard to learn
about concepts such as the fire cones. Designers have more options for ways to
isolate ignition sources. They can have separation through barriers or
distance. It’s not easy to describe, but the designer should be able to do
things that were not previously allowed. There are certainly more options that
allow for better airflow and cooling that would have been difficult under IEC
60950-1. The IEC 60950-1 requirements are included partly to make it easier to
ensure that IEC 60950-1 fire enclosures will meet IEC 62368-1 without going
through more work. However, if you are willing to do the work, you will see
that there is more flexibility in the design options if you use the new
requirements over the old.

Ted Eckert
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.