Hi Doug:

In a former life, I worked for a famous scope manufacturer.  For a while, I was
associated with probes.

A passive 10X probe comprises a voltage divider.  The nose resistor is 9
megohms, and the scope input is 1 megohm, yielding a 10 megohm input impedance.
 (Usually, these are precision resistors.)  To be a frequency-flat divider, the
time constant of the probe nose RC must equal the scope input RC.  The scope
input C is about 20 pF.  That means probe nose C must be about 2 pF.

Scope input C is not well-controlled.  That means the probe nose C or the scope
input C must be adjusted so that the individual probe RC and the individual
scope input RC are equal.  The probe and scope input channel must be
“compensated” as a unique system.  (Every scope has a square wave port for
“compensating” the probe to the input channel.)

Probes are made with either adjustable nose C or adjustable base C.

A properly “compensated” probe with a coaxial ground connection to the probe
tip will meet the accuracy and frequency response claimed by the probe
manufacturer.  At high frequencies, the probe ground lead will reduce the
accuracy and frequency response.

As has been discussed here, high-frequency response of a probe is highly
dependent on the probe ground lead.  The shorter, the better.  Many probes come
with an assortment of ground leads for different measurements.

Rich