Just like CE Compliance, the scope statement is the key.  OEM's should state
carefully where and how one does these things:the best use of language is not
to say "it's SAFE" (unless you're a paid umpire).  I counsel my customers to
say that products have been tested to be in compliance with the proper
component (safety) standard(s).  Even Intertek and UL stay far away from the
word "safe." "Safety" testing is done by product standard.  UL 508 and the like
have sections to deal with control systems.  The best I've seen was actually in
NFPA 79.  Woodward's nice generation control PLCs are product certified to UL
508.  I consider this primary safety (against, fire, shock, etc.), and all
please note that safety of control systems has been termed "Functional Safety."
 Leave the software out of it for now. How one establishes safety of control
systems (which run the software), is a certification to IEC 61508.61508 calls
the control systems (and potentially, sensors):  Functional Safety of
Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems (E/E/PE,
or E/E/PES).  Woodward generation control systems (like Mironet+) cite SIL-3
certification for one example.  UL 1998 is still around, but in five years of
searching, I've not found any products certified to it. There are some good
presentations, UL and MTL Instruments are the best I've seen so far.   MTL's
starts simple with terms like ALARP “As Little As Realistically
Practicable” and concepts and goes into some level of detail for
calculating MTBF, "dangerous failure rates" and PFD averages. MTL certifies
systems and sensors to 61508, apparently.  Don't let the discussions of risk
assessment/analysis make you crazy, that's just what they want!  UL's
presentation is more friendly, far reaching and less detailed.  Slide # 19
lists all the relevant standards from IEC, ISO, etc. Give it whirl, and watch
your terminology! "Colorado" Brian GregoryPower Plant Electrical
Engineer,Leidos, Inc.
720-450-4933