Evening all

The Wheelmark Directive did cross my mind earlier at the time of the question
but I was too “lazy” to follow-up on it right then! L (and I was busy working
on installing another satellite dish – which my wife hates!!)

The Wheelmark comes under Directive 2014/90/EU “DIRECTIVE 2014/90/EU OF THE
EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 23 July 2014 on marine equipment and
repealing Council Directive 96/98/EC (Text with EEA relevance)”

The Scope is

“Article 3

Scope

1. This Directive shall apply to equipment placed or to be placed on board an
EU ship and for which the approval of the flag State administration is required
by the international instruments, regardless of whether the ship is situated in
the Union at the time when it is fitted with the equipment.

2. Notwithstanding the fact that the equipment referred to in paragraph 1 may
also fall within the scope of instruments of Union law other than this
Directive, that equipment shall, for the purpose set out in Article 1, be
subject only to this Directive.”

Looks a bit different to many other Directives in that it seems that the
standards and requirements are listed in the various Amendments to the
Directive rather than as lists of Harmonised Standards per the CE marking
Directives – so that’s where you need to look!

John E Allen

W.London UK