From: oconne...@tamuracorp.com
Sent: September 27, 2016 1:39 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Counterfeit tracking

Distill will monitor selected pages, but is not very selective. And indiscrete
browser plugins are not good for a corporate computer. You still need something
to traverse the web and find new/alternate regulatory information. Related -
there are commercial aggregation services for compliance engineers for $$$. And
as for 'keywords' much of the SEO gaming will not allow a simplistic parsing
for words or phrases to return reliable data sets.

Prefer the API for DuckDuckGo (duckduckgo.com/api) for search and url
traversals, and if you wanna play code monkey, relatively easy to write
'focused' crawlers that feed into parsers. My stuff is based on the common
Python libs BeautifulSoup and scrapy. But this type of solution is useless to
those not having a basic understanding of the insanity buried in a site's
html/css/xml stuff.

The most common 'off-the-shelf' solutions, where there is no desire to code
monkey, are to simply set up your mail client to suck on selected RSS feeds, or
use some other feed aggregator. Many sites used the recently discontinued Yahoo
Pipes, so there may be blinky data streams for some pages for a few more weeks.

Make life easier? As my gunny used to say, "life is supposed to be hard, and
then you die..."

Brian