Public servants can still be fired for what they say. The same rules of
employment generally apply to public servants as to private citizens in the
United States. The difference is between civil law and criminal law. The
Constitution does not provide you protection under civil law. You can be fired
or sued for what you say. That is the basis of libel and slander laws and a
slanderer can’t claim first amendment protection as a defense. Even there, the
U.S. has fairly strong protections and the plaintiff must clear a high bar to
win in a libel or slander case. Civil law can only impose a financial penalty
and civil courts can’t send somebody to prison. The Constitution does not
provide protection from financial penalties, but it does limit how U.S.
citizens can be deprived of their liberties through criminal punishment. (Many
people who have tried to use Constitutional protection claims to defend their
failure to pay taxes have found out that tax law falls under the financial
penalty category and not the deprivation of liberty area.)

If a civil servant went on a misogynistic rant daily, it could be a problem for
their employment. Even if they were only doing so on their private Facebook
page, the women working at the same government agency could make a reasonable
claim that working with this person constituted a hostile work environment. The
employee making the misogynistic comments would not be protected by the
Constitution.

Workers are free to seek new employment at an employer that they feel better
meets their requirements as a worker. This doesn’t always happen, and many
Americans are risk adverse to the point where they will put up with working at
a bad employer without looking for better options. Other Americans have taken
advantage of collective bargaining laws to get contractual protections beyond
what the law allows. In recent years, Americans have soured on unions, but that
is a choice they make.

There are some protections all employees have. You can’t reveal confidential
information, trade secrets or similar items and claim “freedom of speech”
without risk of losing your job. However, political activities are generally
protected. Your employer can’t fire you for supporting a different political
candidate than your boss. It may be up to the employee to prove the real reason
for their termination in a civil suit, but such cases have ended in the
plaintiff’s favor.

Ted Eckert
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer. I am not a professional constitutional scholar, although I will admit
to subscribing and listening to a number of podcasts on constitutional and
civil law. My coworkers wonder why I can’t be normal and just watch Game of
Thrones instead like everybody else.