Hello Doug,

You are correct in that ungrounded outlets (NEMA 1-15) are sold to replace
older ungrounded outlets. NFPA 70, the National Electrical Code (NEC), does not
allow you to replace an ungrounded outlet with a three-pin outlet (NEMA 5-15)
if the ground is not connected. There are millions of older homes and
businesses without ground wires running to each outlet. The ungrounded outlets
are sold to replace existing damaged or otherwise faulty outlets of the same
type.

However, there is a better option in older buildings. You can replace
ungrounded outlets with GFCI outlets. GFCI outlets will come with instructions
on how to do this. The ungrounded outlets protected by the GFCI must be marked
“NO EQUIPMENT GROUND GFCI PROTECTED”. You will typically find stickers with
this notice in the box with GFCI outlets. (See the third bullet under
“Receptacle” at the following link.)
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/118853/099.pdf

The specific code reference is NFPA 70:2014 section 406.4 (D)(2). It specifies
how ungrounded receptacles are to be replaced by either replacement ungrounded
receptacles or GFCI receptacles.

The GFCI doesn’t need a ground connected. It will still trip if there is an
unbalance in the current between line and neutral even without a ground.
Installing GFCI protection in older circuits with ungrounded outlets provides a
reasonable level of protection and is far better than leaving the ungrounded
outlets as they were originally installed.

The NFPA hasn’t written ungrounded outlets out of the code for practical
reasons. These outlets were still commonly used even through the 1960s and the
wiring methods and materials used are typically such that they would not
necessarily have degraded to the point where they are unsafe. Requiring
replacement of ungrounded systems with grounded systems would be expensive and
would likely deter homeowners from making any safety improvement. The GFCI
option provides a quick and inexpensive option that provides a reasonable level
of protection.

That being said, there were some wiring products that did not meet the test of
time and should be addressed. These include aluminum wiring and certain circuit
breaker and panel types.

Knob and tube wiring was last common nearly a century ago. The materials do not
age well and the systems typically do not have the ampacity necessary for
modern appliances. The risks are greater for knob and tube wiring and the
general recommendation is to replace it with a modern system.

Best regards,
Ted Eckert
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer. I am not a licensed electrical inspector or home inspector and the
information I have provided are ony my opinions. Please consult a professional
when evaluating the safety of electrical installations in your home or place of
buisness.