Brent,

I ran into a problem with HDMI cables back in 2014.  It seems that the HDMI
specification for the cables does not address the termination of the outer
shield.  A cable can be marked as HDMI compliant with or without the shield
being properly terminated (or not terminated at all).  And, price was no
indicator of whether or not the shield was properly terminated.  And, boy did
it make a difference on whether or not a device with an HDMI interface passed
or not.  I went back to our product team and suggested that they contact the
HDMI committee about this.  I retired from Intel a bit over a year and a half
ago and had not heard back at that time if there was any result to the inquiry
(or if, indeed, the inquiry had ever been made).

You are correct, certification of a cable to HDMI specifications has nothing to
do with shielding.  I hope those of you dealing with this have some success in
getting the specification changed.

Ghery S. Pettit, NCE

Pettit EMC Consulting LLC

gh...@pettitemcconsulting.com