Hello Brian,

I recommend referencing the Blue Guide.
http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/18027

See the section 3.3 regarding the Importer. Much of the responsibility falls on
the Importer when the Manufacturer does not have an authorized representative
in the EU. The Importer is required to verify that the product fulfills the
requirement with the applicable Directives, either directly or by having the
Manufacturer do so. The Importer then becomes responsible for providing the
Technical Construction File upon request and maintaining the required
information for the prescribed time.

If a Manufacturer has a contract with a specific Importer for the purposes of
importing products to the EU, that Importer may be the Authorized
Representative. It depends on the relationship between the Manufacturer and the
Importer. See section 3.2 of the Blue Guide. It will depend on whether the
Importer takes responsibility for verifying compliance or whether the
Manufacturer does so.

See footnote 215 in section 4.4 regarding signing the Declaration of
Conformity. It indicates that a manufacturer located outside of the EU may draw
up the DoC and use the signature of a person outside of the EU on the DoC
unless specifically prohibited by the applicable Directives. I am not aware of
the LVD or EMC Directive overruling this statement.

I cannot respond regarding the Machinery Directive as I do not know it well
enough to comment accurately.

Ted Eckert
Microsoft Corporation

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer. I have done my best to properly interpret the guidance of the Blue
Guide, but that is a black art. My crystal ball is out for calibration right
now and I fear that its uncertainty of measurement may to to great for proper
EU regulatory interpretations.