I just bought a supply of paper/plastic solar eclipse “glasses” for the
upcoming USA total solar eclipse (I’ll be in the desert in Idaho, hoping for
clear skies). I thought you might be interested in the product markings on this
product.

[CE & ISO marks]      Conforms to and meets the Transmission Requirements of
ISO 12312-2, Filters for Direct Observation of the Sun. Meets the Transmission
Requirements of EN 1836:2005 + A1:2007 € for an E15 Filter for the Direct
Observation of the Sun. Meets the Transmission Requirements of AS/NZS
1338.1:2012, Filters for Eye Protectors. EC Type Examination by: SAI Global
Assurance Services Ltd. (Notified Body No. NB2056. There’s more about
addresses, and the vendor is identified as American Paper Optics of Bartlett,
TN. www.3dglassesonline.com Also interesting that there is a warning to discard
product after three years (although date of manufacture is not stated).

We don’t often talk about optical standards, so I thought this marking, on a $2
consumer product (bought on Amazon), might be interesting for us.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA