From: Richard Nute [mailto:ri...@ieee.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:04 PM
To: Ralph McDiarmid <ralph.mcdiar...@schneider-electric.com>;
EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: "persons" in IEC 62368-1

In IEC 62368-1, three different persons are defined with respect to their
knowledge of safety, not with respect to other parameters.

An "ordinary person" is naïve with regard to the safety of the equipment.
Therefore, an "ordinary person" must have the full protections specified in the
standard.  "Ordinary person" is defined in the IEC Glossary,

http://std.iec.ch/terms/terms.nsf/3385f156e728849bc1256e8c00278ad2/e6936aca232ebc83c1257cac004ac0a7?OpenDocument

A "skilled person" is an expert with regard to the safety of the equipment.  He
is "expected to use their training and experience to recognize energy sources
capable of causing pain or injury and to take action for protection from injury
from those energies."  None of the protections specified in the standard are
applicable to a "skilled person."  He can work on the equipment with the covers
off.   Ralph worked on TVs with the covers off and was able to avoid injury
because of his knowledge of the energy sources, so, with respect to TV safety,
he was a "skilled person."  "Skilled person" is also defined in the IEC
Glossary.

An "instructed person" is just that.  He must be instructed as to energy
sources that could cause pain and the precautions he must use to avoid the
pain.  And, he cannot be exposed to energy sources that could cause injury.
Instruction must be by someone who knows the energy sources in the specific
equipment and knows the precautionary measures that must be taken to avoid
pain, which means that the instruction must be by a "skilled person."
"Instructed person" is defined in the IEC Glossary.

Associated with the person definitions, IEC 62368-1 defines three magnitudes of
energy.  Magnitude 1 may be detectable, but not likely to cause pain or injury.
 An "ordinary person" may have exposure to magnitude 1 energy sources, e.g.,
low voltage.

Magnitude 2 may cause pain, but not likely to cause injury.  An "instructed
person" may (is allowed to) have exposure to magnitude 2 energy sources.

Magnitude 3 may cause injury.   A "skilled person" may have exposure to
magnitude 3 energy sources, e.g., mains voltages.

Rich