Doug,

How significant are differences between the telephone/radar operators cases
and Ken's experience?  Equipment capacitances (higher pF for
telephone/radar operators), discharge location and voltage (Ken's in-ear
ear buds vs. "on/over ear" for operators), wire lengths and floating vs.
earthed configurations?  Both deal with energy transfer to/from cells that
are likely more sensitive (electrically/neurally/perceptually) than the
human hand.   Sounds (pun intended) like an interesting neuroscience topic!

Maybe this could be an occasional benefit to not having a 3.5mm audio jack
on a hand set.

And this probably isn't a good idea for a new experiment at your
workshops.  ;-)

Cheers,
Adam in Atlanta