+/- 20% doesn't seem to be enough to explain the reported result. After all, assuming the +/- 20% is off the spectrum analyser, 1.2 is +1.6 dB and 0.8 is -1.9 dB. These are small, but not negligible. If the +/-20% relates to power, they are even smaller in dB, of course.

John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2018-03-05 15:57, Patrick wrote:
Hi David -

I had this same problem.
I'm actually glad to see another engineer looking into this!
The answer is not test setup,
    not ground plane,
    not distance to tabletop, etc.
Each of those can be significant, and should be controlled, but...

The problem you describe sounds exactly like one I had two years ago.
If it is the same problem, the root cause is the *probe calibration*.
The "normal" calibration data that every cal lab provides is too course.
It hides (skips over) resonances in the probes.
Only a finer calibration step size will resolve this problem.

Here is my abbreviated story...

I started with data just like yours.
I had 6 probes: they were two model FP4000, and four of the HI6053.

... <skip the description of months long investigation of setup, antennas, amplifiers, chambers, height above table, orientation, etc....>

The root cause is the "normal" cal.
It uses a course step size in frequency.
When it is too course, it misses resonances in the probe.
Those resonances are significant, as much as +/- 20% in my equipment.

To prove this, I sent a probe out for "enhanced" cal.
I requested both a "normal" cal and a higher resolution cal.
I asked for 5% steps below 1 GHz and 100 MHz steps above 1 GHz.

When the data came back I plotted the cal factors on top of each other.
It was obvious.
The course cal points of a "normal" calibration will hide resonances that are +/- 20% deviations.
(above sentence should be BOLD, UNDERLINE, asterisks)

My conclusion:  Any probe used for accredited test must have calibration data showing the resonances. If it doesn't, then the lab is guaranteed to be over-testing and under-testing.

DM me and I'll be glad to discuss.

Patrick