Patrick:

The probe manufacturer says something like “keep the probe box away or out of
the field” or “best results are obtained with the probe placed on a slant.” But
then they show us isotropicity data that promises +/- ¼ dB. It seems like those
are contradictory statements.
Back around 2002, I decided to dissect a dead Narda 8762(?) probe which a
customer helped me drop. The Narda was a white Fiberglas, 300 MHz to 1 GHz
probe that looked like a very elegant German “potato masher” hand grenade
equipped with a cable that plugged into an IFI EFS field sensor. I wish I had
taken some good pictures of the project, as few people venture that deep into
such expensive territory.
The head contained the orthogonal three-dipole array, with the conductive arms
looking like gold foil on a thin Fiberglass substrate. The length of each
dipole was about 1.5 inches. The sensing elements might have been
thermocouples, thermistors or diodes, and they were mounted in the dipoles.
Each sensor was also connected to a pair of very high resistance plastic wires
(possibly doped with carbon like automotive spark plug wires) that ran to the
far end of the stalk where an analog signal conditioning amplifier summed the
three channels and provided a DC output proportional to field strength. I was
struck by the delicacy of the sensor head, looking at what must have been a
very labor intensive assembly.
BTW, the signal conditioning amplifier was enclosed in a ¾” diameter by 4” long
section of tubular steel, so it was obvious that this conductive mass (not to
mention the shielded, multi-conductor power & signal cable) would distort the
measured field and degrade the isotropicity.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA