Very good. In fact, this answer applies to practically EVERY question 'Do we need to test'? Re 'testing to find out if we need to test' and ' to see the effect',  we can use cheaper and quicker 'pre-compliance' testing. If the results are in doubt, that indicates in itself a need to fully test.

John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2018-04-27 11:45, Matthew Wilson wrote:

You ask for opinions so I’ll give mine, based on the device needing to meet the EU EMC directive as you mention EN 55032.  It’s up to you but the decision if the debug port must be tested is part of the risk analysis and assessment required by the EU EMC directive. This is including foreseeable misuse.   That risk based decision whether to test or not will then be part of your technical file for the product supporting the declaration of conformity and CE mark.

I would think leaving the wired network port attached is quite a reasonable foreseeable misuse and so it could be expected to test to see the effect of that operating mode.

But like all these sort of questions the answer is ‘it depends’.  We don’t know from your post what the device is, the environment in which it is used, the class of end user (skilled, unskilled?) and nor do we know all the circumstances that make up the factors to the ‘it depends’.  All this can really only be untangled for the product with a risk exercise.

See an article here re EMC risk analysis:

https://www.element.com/nucleus/2017/08/17/13/42/what-is-an-emc-risk-analysis

Then only you can decide based on your risk outcomes whether to test the port or not and have good supporting evidence as to the decision for or against test.

Hope that helps.

Matthew Wilson,

Technical Director,

GB Electronics (UK) Ltd.