Hi folks.

It's been a while since I went on the europa website and I just saw this
(never noticed it before). The general europa webpage section of the LVD
has bolded the text " *input* *or* *output voltage* ". More interestingly,
the conjunction ‘*or*’. Some could now argue that their HV power supply
(120/240 VAC input, >1500 V output) or ESD test equipment (4KV+), etc. is
exempt from the LVD because they think they have an option due to the
interpretation (or misinterpretation) of the word 'OR'.
(Yes, I have already seen cases like this) …….perhaps the website should
have stated “*and/or*” rather than just “*or*” or word it differently.
Again, the key point here is the word 'or'.

Also, when I was at the PSES symposium this year in San Jose, I asked a
similar question related to this and some seemed to think that this was
‘input’ voltage only.

Your comments, opinions & advice on this topic are greatly appreciated.

Below are the excerpts:

About the Low Voltage Directive (LVD)

The LVD covers health and safety risks on electrical equipment operating
with an *input* *or* *output voltage* of between:

·        50 and 1000 V for alternating current

·        75 and 1500 V for direct current

Excerpt obtained from:
http://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/electrical-engineering/lvd-directive_en

The directive itself does not specifically call out input or output per se.
It only states ‘rating’.

*Chapter 1, Article 1:*

*This Directive shall apply to electrical equipment designed for use with a
voltage rating of between 50 and 1 000 V for alternating current and
between 75 and 1 500 V for direct current, other than the equipment and
phenomena listed in Annex II.*

Excerpt from the Directive obtained from:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32014L0035

Regan Arndt
IEEE PSES SCV Chair