We are at the initial stages of product design for a sleep aid for infants i.e.
intended for use with newborn age upwards.  The project product name is called
'Jezza' and comprises a soft-toy that in turn houses the electronics in a
'pod'.  The pod can be removed from the soft-toy to allow machine-washing of
'Jezza'.

We are working through the necessary compliance for toy safety and have a query
about the use of an internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack within the
'pod' and how we are interpreting the requirements of EN62115.

I thought I would seek the opinions from the list here please just to see if we
are OK in regards our thinking, which I will explain below.

'Jezza' will need to comply with EN 62115:2005+A2+A11+A12, electrical safety
for toys.

To provide power for 'Jezza' it is intended that a lithium-ion type battery
'pack' is contained within the pod.  This battery pack is not user accessible.
The choice of this type of battery technology is to meet the client's design
requirements in terms of 'usable battery life' between charging.

The first query is that we have not seen any specific compliance restrictions
regarding the use of lithium-ion type batteries in toys and especially toys
intended for use from birth age upwards.  Is anyone, however aware of any
restrictions, other than of course meeting all the safety requirements with the
battery pack?  Are there none regarding toys?

The second is regarding the appropriate charging method for this battery.

In the EN 62115 standard is a clause 14.4, "Transformer toys and dual supply
toys shall not be intended for use by children under 3 years old."

Just to interpret that, in standards "shall" indicates a requirement.  In the
ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, Seventh edition, 2016, 3.3.3, a requirement is
defined as an "expression in the content of a document conveying objectively
verifiable criteria to be fulfilled and from which no deviation is permitted if
compliance with the document is to be claimed."

The definition of 'transformer toy' and 'dual supply toy' is given in an
earlier clause 3.1.3 within EN62115.

3.1.3
transformer toy
toy that is connected  to the supply mains through a transformer for toys and
using the supply mains as the only source of electrical energy

3.1.4
dual-supply toy
toy that can be operated as a battery toy and either simultaneously or
alternatively as a transformer toy

3.1.8
transformer for toys
safety isolating transformer specially designed to supply toys operating at
safety extra-low voltage not exceeding 24V (Note the transformer may supply
a.c. or d.c. or both).

Just a note - 'transformer' in this standard appears to be being used in a
colloquial sense as nowadays most power supplies (probably due to ErP directive
as well as cost) are a switched mode design rather than a basic 'step down'
transformer type, although the switched mode type may still contain a
transformer element.

Given the constraints above about re 'Transformer toys and dual supply toys
shall not be intended for use by children under 3 years old' we are considering
the design so that the pod has to be taken out of 'Jezza' by a responsible
person (adult) and then placed on or in (depending on industrial design) a
'docking station' base to recharge.

The docking station would have a physical interface using pogo pins and lands,
or maybe a knife connector plug/receptacle, between it and the pod to charge
the device.  The pod would not function as a sleep-aid when charging.

The dock would be connected to an external mains-DC power supply e.g. 5 or 12V
output from the power supply to a connector on the dock.  This docking station
would charge the pod. The arrangement is intended to be very much like a
cordless DECT telephone or similar.

Separate chargers are not considered to be a toy even if they are supplied with
it as per Note 3 in section 1 (scope) of EN62115.

We wanted to gather opinion on whether this interpretation, that we can put a
rechargeable pack within the sealed pod and charge it with a separate dock, is
correct with regards complying that a 'transformer toy and dual supply toy
shall not be intended for use by children under 3 years old'.   We take that to
mean it would not be acceptable to have e.g. a USB socket on the pod for
connection to a 'charger' via a cable.

Thank you all for reading and any info regarding all that.

Kind regards,

Matthew Wilson
Technical Director
https://gbelectronics.uk

________________________________

Matthew Wilson
Technical Director

[GBE]<https://gbelectronics.uk>
https://gbelectronics.uk

T: +44 (0)1903 244500
F: +44 (0)1903 700715

Ascot House // Mulberry Close // Woods Way
Goring-by-Sea // West Sussex // BN12 4QY // UK

Electronics Design // Manufacturing // Component Distribution
        [ISO 9001 | ISO 14001] <https://gbelectronics.uk/quality/standards>

Want to send us a file? https://www.mailbigfile.com/gbelectronics

________________________________

GB Electronics (UK) Limited is a company registered in England and Wales
Company Registration No: 06210991
VAT Registration No: GB 925 1744 25

Registered Office:
Ascot House, Mulberry Close, Woods Way
Goring by Sea, West Sussex, BN12 4QY

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your
system, do not use or disclose the information in any way and notify the sender
immediately.

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views
of the company, unless specifically stated.