Dave,    As with you, I have helped many companies write their MDoC or MDoInc;
I typically get called in toward the end of a design project and am asked what
needs to be done to get CE marking on the product, and am engaged almost right
away with a project that is on a fast track.  The MDoC is always done on the
American company’s letterhead and is signed by the designated person who has
the authority to commit the company (not allowed to ask the janitor to sign).
I carefully explain to the signer that they bear personal liability under EU
law.  I also  develop a document that lists all of the technical documents
supporting the MDoC (the list of TF documents) which is signed off by the
project manager or higher (which provides confidence to the MDoC signing
manager that the details have been carefully taken care of and are organized
for retrieval down line).  The American signer of the MDoC understands that
they are at arms-length to EU law until they appear on EU soil (I always
recommend careful introspection into these issues before planning a Riviera
holiday :>).  Hence, the EU desire for an EU Authorized Rep.

                The inclusion of the EU AR on the same document is a company
decision, in my opinion, and should not be done lightly.  Some companies
consider adding a distributor or some other contact without consideration of
the issues or consequences.  When I have the opportunity I do point out these
issues and encourage the development of a contractual relationship with the AR
before their name is added to the MDoC.  Because this has not been considered
the additional time/effort involved usually interferes with the product
introduction schedule and the need for the MDoC immediately.

                Of course, there is always room for improvement next time.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 23427

Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow