Hi folks,

I've been following this discussion but traveling so I haven't responded
earlier.

The situation when you have multiple power inputs arises across multiple
standards, not just in the CE mark surge. And it's often dealt with in the same
way.

We develop the surge generator to represent the threat we are likely to see at
the point the EUT connects to the power bus, and a key element is the source
impedance.

So, if we reach a point on the power distribution system, where we can
guarantee the connections will always be present, then it seems appropriate
that you can test with them all connected. If that isn't the case, then you
should test individually with perhaps one exception.

With all connections made, if the surge voltage is insignificantly loaded
during the test ( indicating the inputs don't have clamping type protection )
it is reasonable to say that all inputs have been appropriately tested. If the
voltage waveform is loaded, then it would be inappropriate to say a power input
has been tested.

Since surge can be long winded, a little bit of engineering can really help
reduce the test costs, but still meet the intent.

Thoughts always welcome.

Cheers,

Derek Walton
LF Research/SSCLabs.