From: Pete Perkins <00000061f3f32d0c-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ieee.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:53 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] human skin resistance

The standard body models used in the safety standards to provide electric shock
protection provide for a  ‘ combo in-and out RC skin impedance’ and a ‘body
resistance’.  The modeled circuit used in 60990 for large area of contact is
skin impedance of 1500 ohms and 0.22uf and the internal body resistance ‘bag of
saltwater’ of 500 ohms; this has been the traditional European body circuit, in
NA UL has used slightly different values; there is only a small difference in
measured touch current between these circuits.  The large area of contact is
considered the worst case.

The component values in the model vary with contact area – as the contact area
gets smaller the skin impedance resistance get higher and the capacitance
changes because of the smaller area.

There are several other more complex body models in the literature which seek
to auto compensate for some of the variables encountered in electric shock
work.  Altho they seem to provide some of advantages claimed they have not come
into general use.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 23427

Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow