Mark,

No, it absolutely must be YELLOW as the recognized colour combination is RED
and YELLOW. See NFPA 79, 2015, 9.2.5.4, IEC 60204-1:2018, 10.7, ISO 13850:2015,
4.3.6.

BTW, here are the actual words WRT to the colour and size:

> 4.3.6 The actuator of the emergency stop device shall be coloured RED. As far
> as a background exists
> behind the actuator and as far as it is practicable, the background shall be
> coloured YELLOW.
> Emergency stop devices shall be designed and mounted in such a way that the
> actuation cannot be easily
> blocked by simple means.
> NOTE This can happen when objects fall beneath the actuating surface or when
> there is an intention of defeating.
> Emergency stop device requiring a key on the actuator to be disengaged
> (unlatched) should be avoided.
> When an emergency stop actuator can only be disengaged by using a key, to
> avoid injuries to hands,
> instruction for use of the machine shall describe the correct use of the key
> and provide a warning that
> the key should only be in the actuator of the device to disengage the
> actuator.

As to the “Emergency Stop” text marking:

> 4.3.7 Neither the actuator nor the background should be labelled with text or
> symbols. Where a symbol
> is needed for clarification, the symbol from IEC 60417-5638 shall be used,
> see Figure 2.
> When it is necessary to identify the direction of unlatching of the actuator
> (button) then this identification
> shall have the same or nearly the same colour as the actuator (see also IEC
> 60947-5-5).
> NOTE The identification of unlatching (i.e. arrows) could be misinterpreted
> as direction of actuation.

The IEC standard that details the requirements for the estop device is IEC
60947-5-5, Low voltage switchgear and controlgear—Part 5-5: Control circuit
devices and switching elements—Electrical emergency stop device with mechanical
latching function.

Doug Nix
d...@ieee.org
+1 (519) 729-5704