John W

Is not the “80/20 rule” simply the “inverse” of the “80/80 rule”?J.

BTW: those 20% of the committees that actually do the work (with which, from
experience as a BSI committee secretary some years ago, I more than agree –
although in many instances it was far less than 20%!!) are but an infinitesimal
%age of the numbers of people who blithely have to accept the deliberations
thereof (some of which were overly influenced by the “status” of, and pressure
from, the Chairmen - at least that was the situation “quite a few years ago”,
but it is hopefully much better controlled nowadays!).

OTOH, in the context of EMC standards (etc.), what other “rule” might one
reasonably choose when attempting to prepare a standard for “general
consumption”?:

e.g.

-          “Absolute/100% compliance”?  - Obviously impossible in practice for
practical and economic reasons (except in exceptional and highly critical
situations).

-          “At the discretion of the assessor?” – we probably all know where
that would lead (“How much money/work/…… do you want?”)

-          “Who the hell cares”!” – one sample passed (very marginally – seen
that = 0.5 dBV on an OATS!) so that’ll be good enough! J

-          - Some “other” criteria?? – and thus??

Actually, that last “question” is quite a “serious” one – so what other
criteria could be used?

John E Allen

W. London, UK