Rich, et al

AH, now you are getting to the “specifics” J

Whilst I (and many others!) are very well aware of all those other
“contributory factors” (some of which I also outlined to SWMBO’s friend’s
partner!), I didn’t want to “go into that level of detail” in my initial post

>From some experience, I think there are some somewhat fundamental differences
>in the way in which various sectors  of the risk assessment communities view
>how “risk” should be assessed.

On this side of the “Pond”, I seem to recall that the “slightly more
simplistic” approach I outlined earlier has been mainly the prevalent one,
whereas on  “t’other” side of the “Pond” then the approach you outlined may be
more prevalent, as it seems to be in some sectors of industrial standards risk
assessment (e.g. in 623286).

I’m n d ot saying that either one is “right or wrong” – but it does highlight
the many differences in opinions on how to approach risk assessment AND that
both of them are generally very complex due to all the likely underlying
factors!

As for the original “Act of God” “issue”, one does have to wonder why this can
nowadays, with “all that we know” about the World, technology, human behavior,
widespread availability of information, etc., can really be attributed to an
“Act of God” that no-one could possibly have predicted (unless, of course,
those gods and demons of the ancient religions do actually exist as we cannot
possibly predict what they might or not do!)

John E Allen

W. London, UK