From:   Doug Nix <d...@ieee.org>
Subject:        Re: [PSES] Applicability of the Machine Directive
Date sent:      Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:05:32 -0400
Copies to:      "EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org" <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
To:     ptar...@ieee.org

Hi Peter,

The answer to your question lies in the intended application of the
device. If it has an intended application, then it is a machine. If
it is a component that could be incorporated into many kinds of
machines, think "gearbox" for example, then it is not in the scope
of the MD, even it it is an assembly of linked parts at least one of
which moves. Also, does it include the power and control systems
necessary for it´s function, or are these provided by the
application device? If they are contained, then the device is closer
to a machine, pending the intended application. If they are external
then it is a machine part and outside the MD.

Doug Nix
d...@ieee.org
+1 (519) 729-5704