All,

My question is probably philosophical.

With the advent of Safety rated PLCs, Safety Relays, and other solid
state and programmable safety devices in certified and listed products, are
we at risk of becoming over reliant on automated safety systems. I'm
thinking in terms of IEC 61508, ISO 12100, UL 1998, UL 991, and many
others. While I agree that use of programmable devices for safety control
is in our future, it seems we, as a society, are putting a lot of reliance
in this. It is well known that zero risk is impossible, but it also
seems that "people these days" routinely ignore the risks, and it is my
view that humans have a very bad history of correctly estimating risk out
in the wild. It's not my intention to pick on autonomous vehicles only,
since I've seen this sort of care-less behavior played out in other places
as well.

Some keywords I have in mind:

   - Automation Dependency
   - Automation Bias
   - Automation Induced Complacency

In general, do you feel we are becoming a society that relies too much on
technology and automation to keep us safe from harm? I'm looking for an
open discussion on this and what do you feel will be in store for us in the
future.

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA