Doug --

Joe Musso, staff engineer at UL, might be worth contacting.

About 10 years ago I was is a similar position with what I considered an
outdated spacings table in UL 1450. Joe was the staff engineer supporting 1450
at the time.

What Joe suggested, and what ended up working out well, was adding UL 840
(which is aligned with IEC 60664) as an alternate acceptable spacings
requirement. This ballot item was easily approved and we never looked back.

So we sidestepped any discussion of the old spacings table, but Joe might know
more about why he wanted to keep it and what its origins are.

Let me know if you need any language examples from the new section in UL 1450.

BTW, anyone can write a proposed change to any UL standard at any time---you
don't have to be on the committee. Copying language from another approved UL
standard (e.g., 1450) gets you off to a strong start.

And please share what you find out about these table values!

thanks,

Mike