From: Douglas Nix <d...@mac.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 8:57 AM
To: Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org>
Cc: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Risk assessment versus HBSE

Hi Rich,

Your points are well taken.

There are some good ISO standards that relate to exposure to hot and cold
temperatures. These standards take the type of material, and therefore the
transfer rate, of heat into account and are quite useful IMO.

You are right about the HBSE model, and I think that we need both approaches,
that is HBSE and “conventional” risk assessment. The issue is always this: what
do you do when you don’t have any data? Practitioners must start with what they
know, and that usually means starting with qualitative risk assessments. This
is especially true in the broader OHS sector where these types of assessments
are used for workplace inspections. The problem is that when we attach
arbitrary numeric values to qualitative scales people start to believe that the
math is somehow “right” regardless of how arbitrary in the input data. Even if
the math is correct, GIGO. This is what plagues the application of conventional
risk assessment techniques and why Cox, Quintino and others have been raising
the alarm for so many years.

We’re now in a place where the EU has a semi-quantitative (yes I hate that term
too, but it’s descriptive) risk assessment tool built into the RAPEX directive
for use on consumer products and white goods. This same tool has been adopted
by the US CPSC, although they are not making this widely known. Health Canada
has their own methodology for the same purpose, and I’m quite sure that if we
were to examine the methods used by the national health and safety agencies in
any country that has such an entity, we would find that they too have some
method like the RAPEX/CPSC or Health Canada methods. So, for now we are stuck
with what we have. At least we are getting manufacturers to think about risk,
rather than “just” hazards.

Progress comes slowly…

--

Doug Nix

d...@mac.com <mailto:d...@mac.com>

(519) 729-5704

looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

On 22-Feb-22, at 19:03, Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org <mailto:ri...@ieee.org> >
wrote:

Hi Doug:

Thanks for your comments.

What bothers me about risk assessment is that the committees that have written
the standards requiring risk assessment have not critically evaluated the risk
assessment process.  If they had done so, we would not have the process as we
know it today.

Actually, I do not fully agree with the Gibson finding that energy causes
injury.  I can show that the injury parameter is energy per unit time, e.g.,
joules/second.  The body can absorb energy slowly without injury, but not
quickly.  Consider that a car with people in it can brake or stop without
causing injury to the passengers, but cannot “crash” to a stop where injury is
likely.  In both cases, the kinetic energy to stop is the same, but the kinetic
energy per time to stop is low in braking, but high in crashing.

The attached picture is that of catching three objects and assumes the
deceleration time is the same for each object.  Note that when we catch an
object, we can catch it “slowly” and distribute the energy over a longer time
than catching it “directly.”  I submit this as proof that energy per unit time
is the parameter that causes injury.

HBSE does indeed have (or can have) energy criteria for each form of energy.
However, I agree that some energy data is not readily available and must be
researched.  And, using the energy model can be quite complex.  For example,
injury from thermal energy is often simply taken as accessible temperature,
sometimes including a time of contact.  Using a single parameter, temperature,
or including time of contact parameter, does not address the difference between
an aluminum block and aluminum foil (which is the issue some members of IEC
TC108/HBSDT are addressing).   Or the difference between an aluminum block and
a plastic block.

Best regards,

Rich