I don't know much about the commercial side, but there is a really
well-written document for the US military standard (MIL-STD-461) called SAE
EIA EMCB 1-1 - Historical Rationale for Military EMI Limits (behind a
damned paywall, unfortunately, but I can try to send it to you if you'd
like). (https://standards.globalspec.com/std/10021073/EIA%20EMCB%201-1)
Every test has it's own unique origin story, but I think the answer often
tends to be starting with a known problem, doing the analysis work to say
what it would take to solve it, throwing on an extra x dB of margin and
making minor course corrections based on the feedback you get from the
community along the way.   Sprinkle in some marketing, bias, and
in-fighting and you've got yourself a standard!
To be clear, I say this from a perspective of having never served on a
standards committee (despite desperately wanting to fill a former
colleagues position on the tri-service working group).
I'm sure Ken and others in the group will have a much more valuable input
here, but I just so happen to be fascinated with the history and finding
any old rationale document I can.

I'm always telling newer folks that it really doesn't matter if the limit
or test methodology (as written in the standard) is "wrong", so long as
it's predictive and everyone does it the same wrong way.
And the tests are really good at predicting that you won't have a problem
down the road when you pass... and not so great at predicting anything when
you fail.  Even some of the easiest tests to translate to installation
(CE106 and CS104) don't do a great job at predicting actual problems when
they've failed the test.  I've seen things fail CS104 for broad swathes of
frequencies at -40 dBm and surrounded by emitters in that frequency range,
and it performs just fine on the aircraft... until one day when it
won't...  but now I've strayed too far from your original question.