(I posted this in LinkedIn as well but thought I'd float this in front of
you learned folks)

Transmission line impedance and termination is important for:

* Signal integrity = yes

* EMC emissions = no (???)

Here's my current line of thought:

(1) EM Radiation from a transmission line (e.g. PCB microstrip) is dictated
by its physical structure (how "antenna like" it is) and the frequency of
the signals using it.

(2) Assuming the transmission line and the parameters causing reflection are
linear, then no new frequency components are being introduced other than
those present in the original signal.

(3) Energy bouncing backwards and forwards from reflections and mismatches
does not cause an additional radiated EM problem that was not already there
to begin with. The SI won't be great...

Given that active circuitry is used to drive a transmission line (e.g.
transistor switches) then there might be non-linear components, meaning
point (2) might not hold and new frequency components may be generated.

A TX line impedance is matched for maximum power transfer, but the
termination only sets where the power is meant to be dissipated. Increased
power due to no matching in the transmission line structure increases
likelihood of radiation?

Maybe a more open transmissions line looks more "antenna like"?

Am I missing something? How do I need to think about this problem?

All the best

James

James Pawson

Managing Director & EMC Problem Solver

Office hours:

My mornings are reserved for full attention on consultancy, testing, and
troubleshooting activities for our customers' projects.

I am otherwise contactable between 1300h to 1730h from Monday to Friday.

For inquiries, bookings, and testing updates please send us an email on
<mailto:he...@unit3compliance.co.uk> he...@unit3compliance.co.uk or call
01274 911747.

Our lead times for testing and consultancy are typically 4-5 weeks.

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd

EMC : Environmental & Vibration : Electrical Safety : CE & UKCA :
Consultancy

 <http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/> www.unit3compliance.co.uk  |
<mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk> ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk

+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957

2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL

Registered in England and Wales # 10574298

https://www.avg.com

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html