I lost all my emails from before on Leakage Current/Touch Current, but your
replies were very helpful. Thanks.

I am trying to understand what affects the result of the Touch Current test
according to IEC 60990. In our example, we are testing 230V single phase
products with a grounded PE third pin on the power cord that connects to
the chassis of the EUT. The 230V could be derived from split-phase, though
we do not connect to the center tapped neutral, or one side of the 230V can
be referenced to Earth (neutral), or the 230V could be isolated (not
referenced to Earth) but still have the safety ground PE connected to
chassis.

When we test for Touch Current, the PE is opened (which isolates the EUT
from Earth) and the Human Body Model circuit is inserted and metered.  We
take a measurement, reverse polarity on the AC Mains, then test again.  We
usually get similar results regardless of whether the AC is isolated or
referenced to ground in some way.

Now here is my question. We took a power cord, connected it to a line
filter, then to a 150 watt 24Vdc power supply (which also has a live
filter) that is loaded down with resistor loads, all mounted to a piece of
sheet metal representing our chassis.  We get a Touch Current of about
0.8mA, which seems typical.

Then we added two 2000 watt dc power supplies (with internal line filters)
driving heating elements and some ac powered heating elements and AC
cooling fans. Our Touch Current test results went down to 0.2mA.  How can
this be? What phenomenon is lowering the test results driving more AC
components in the EUT?  Or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks,
The Other Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html