I have worked with H.V. power supplies in the past, and there is a point
where IEC-based standards simply run out.

In most cases, I found certifying agencies are accepting of IEC 61010-1 (or
national derivatives) using the tables in Annex K (2010 edition). You still
need to pay attention to the mains voltage, but in your case I believe the
spacings you need are all secondary circuits. Starting at Table K.10 and
following.  In there you will find clearance and creepage requirements up
to 63 kV.  This will apply to steady state voltages as well as calculations
for plasma strike voltages, in the standard referred to as temporary
overvoltages or repetitive peaks.

Above 63 kV, I found some agencies I worked with were willing to accept an
engineering rationale using classical HV e-field evaluation for uniform
fields around geometric structures for clearances; and a linear
extrapolation for creepage, up to as high as 200 kV.  Of course, creepage
can never be less than clearance in your results.  And you must pay
close attention to electrode shaping, CTI, Pollution Degree, altitude, etc.
I also found it very helpful to study parts of the IEC 60664-X standards.
There is a wealth of information there.

The considerations for solid insulation are very different, and the old
rule of thumb using 0.4mm thickness for everything is no where close to
accurate.  Let's just say that small thicknesses like that are almost
useless after a point, and especially when the solid insulation is adjacent
to an air gap, which essentially forms a multiple dielectric capacitor.  As
it turns out, almost 100% of the voltage distributed across the dielectric
stack up is impressed almost entirely on the air layer, as opposed to that
of the solid insulation layer.

Best of luck,  -Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA