Brian,

Sounds like a NRTL engineer is asking for possible misuses whether or not
they may result in a hazard.  And perhaps this is just to ensure that
misuses have been considered and can be included in the listing report, to
satisfy the internal report reviewers, or their certifying auditors, not
necessarily to be listed in the operating manual.  For example, it could be
a misuse to sit the 400lb analyzer precariously on top of a sawhorse where
it may fall over, or on a 25lb rated plastic table, or plugged into an
underrated extension cord run across the floor.

-Dave

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html