Don't forget the seminal research done by WMKing on this topic. He was I
believe the first to measure the fast response of an ESD event through a
metal intervening object. Also, it is understood that the ESD test was a
consensus output in an attempt to provide repeatability within test houses.
King and Hish also produced an ESD generator that accurately replicated the
research.

The current ESD test is a committee consensus output which tried very hard
to produce a test that could be consistent and repeatable, while at
the same time be as close as possible to the actual event.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html