Hi Larry,

Thanks a lot for your insightful comments. Yes I'm familiar with the setup
and with the antenna 3dB beamwidth.
My question aims to help me estimate how much is it worth the investment in
a mast with tilting or boresighting capability for our 3m semi-anechoic
chamber.
Most of the tests we perform are to CISPR standards. In CISPR 16-2-3
antenna directivity and beamwidth are covered, but there is no explicit
requirement for antenna alignment with the EUT as in ANSI C63.4.

We use a Schaffner CBL 6141A bilog antenna in the 30M-1G range and a
Schwarzbeck BBHA9120D horn antenna in the 1 - 18 GHz range.
Most of the EUTs we test are table-top, with maximum height of about 2m.
Semi-anechoic 3m setup below 1GHz, fully-anechoic (absorbers added on the
floor between antenna and EUT) above 1GHz.

As you mentioned, this subject is more relevant in the > 1GHz range, where
antenna and source beamwidths are narrower. However, the analysis and
numbers I found in standards and literature so far are mainly related to
the below 1 GHz frequency range.

Antenna directivity: the uncertainty budget contribution is per CISPR
16-4-2 (Annex A) with our setup (3m SAC, Hybrid antenna) as shown below:

Vertical polarization, 30 - 1000 MHz range: 1.37dB max improvement in
measurement uncertainty with tilting for > 200MHz.
Total expanded (2-sigma or 95% confidence level) expanded uncertainty
improvement of 1.06 dB with the tilting.
Horizontal polarization, 30 - 100 MHz range: 0.29dB max improvement in
measurement uncertainty with tilting for > 100MHz, no difference below 100
MHz.
Total expanded (2-sigma or 95% confidence level) expanded uncertainty
improvement of 0.10 dB with the tilting.
1 - 18 GHz range (both polarizations): 0.87 dB directivity difference
contribution to measurement uncertainty. No mention of tilting effects.

There is a work by Austrian Research Center a few years back. See abstract
at the link below:
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/4652052

"For a test distance of 3 m the measurement uncertainty can be reduced from
5.62 dB to 5.43 dB with antenna tilting. With a bore sight antenna tower a
reduction to 5.31 dB is feasible. The bias and uncertainty given by CISPR
16-4-2 are not adequate."

This work shows a best-case improvement of just about 0.3 dB of measurement
uncertainty in the 30M-1G range with a 3m measurement distance.

My feeling so far is that investing in a tilting/boresighting mast is not
so worth it, although someone above me already decided to buy it...

Thanks again and best regards,
Paolo

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html