Hi all,

I'm having a discussion with my colleague about the use of a fixed 6dB
attenuation pad at the input of the EMI receiver for radiated EMI in the
range 30MHz - 6GHz.
The pad I'm using is a Weinschel 6dB N-type 50ohm.
My colleague says the pad is an unnecessary element in the measurement
chain, because the receiver built-in attenuator (typically with 10dB steps)
and proper adjustments in the amplitude settings are enough.

The reason I'm using the 6dB pad is that - based on my EMI testing
experience, the 6dB pad is a good trade-off between the need to avoid
receiver overload and maintaining a good enough noise floor.
Without the pad the noise floor is of course lower and everything is fine
as long as the input levels are low enough.
But in the majority of the test scenarios I'm working on the input levels
are not so low and the 6dB pad is just enough to avoid triggering the auto
built-in 10dB attenuation, that kicks in when the receiver attenuation is
in auto mode, and that is oftentimes an overkill, raising the noise floor
too much, especially in the 1-6 GHz range.
I have the 6dB pad calibrated for cable loss once a year together with the
N-cable connecting to the antenna. And also the cable calibrated without
the pad.

The most typical sources of overload are transient noise generated by
motors (especially brush DC motors)  and signals from radio modules like
2.4G wi-fi, Bluetooth and 5G wi-fi.

In addition to overload protection, the 6dB pad improves the VSWR at the
cable-receiver interface, as explained in C.J.Paul's EMC Introduction to
EMC (John Wiley 2nd Ed.) Ch.7.
Based on the above I think that, being a resistive network stabilizing the
50ohm termination impedance at the receiver end, the 6dB 50ohm pad is a
good practice that can prevent overload or excessive auto-attenuation, and
worst-case doesn't do any harm. Or, am I missing something here?

I'd like to know if there is someone else in this community who has
experience using fixed attenuation pads at the receiver end of EMI
receivers/spectrum analyzers, or any opinion about it.

Thanks a lot in advance for any feedback!

Paolo

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
Instructions:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html (including how to